Proton Pump Inhibitors FAQ

Q: What are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and why are they prescribed?

A: PPIs are commonly known as heartburn medication, but are a type of drug that inhibits acid secretion in the body. They are often used to treat frequent heartburn and acid reflux as they lower the amount of acid produced by the stomach. Common prescription and over the counter names for PPIs include Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix, Dexilant, Zegerid, AcipHex, Vimovo, and Nexium.

Q: What are the side effects of PPIs?

A: Common side effects of PPIs include headache, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or itching. More serious side effects include increased risk of heart attack, bone fracture, and low magnesium levels or hypomagnesemia. The most recent side effect discovered in studies is the increased chance of developing chronic kidney disease. Additional serious kidney problems include acute kidney disease and acute interstitial nephritis.

Q: Has any legal action been taken against the manufacturers of PPIs?

A: Lawsuits are beginning to be filed throughout the country against the manufacturers of PPIs, including AstraZeneca, the manufacturer of Nexium.

Q: How do I know if I have a viable case?

A: If you or someone you love has suffered from kidney damage after the use of a PPI, you may have a case for filing a claim against the manufacturer of the drug.

Q: How long do I have to file a lawsuit?

A: Every state has maximum time limitations on when an injury claim must be filed. These time restrictions are known as statutes of limitations. If a claim is not filed against the manufacturer before the statute of limitation expires, the injured persons are forever prevented from bringing a claim against the entities and persons who may be liable for their injuries.

If you have been potentially injured after the use of a heartburn medication, your statute of limitations may already have expired, or may expire in the very near future. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to tell you without us first reviewing the individual facts of your situation.

Q: What should I do if I want to pursue legal action?

A: If you have been adversely affected by a PPI or believe you have suffered from one of the serious complications linked to these heartburn medications, first see a qualified health care professional. You should also report the incident to your physician and the FDA.

To find out if you are eligible to file a claim for a heartburn medication lawsuit, contact McDivitt Law Firm at 877-846-4878 or fill out a free and confidential case evaluation.